Wednesday, March 13, 2013

LOVE it; masters n' DOGS Specialty Store

I am writing a second post for the night because this one is a bit different in that I am review an entire store that's related to my furry daughter, Olive. :)

Photocredit: masters n' DOGS
     I thought it was important to give a [so not needed for business] shout out to the best dog store, in Ottawa, there is.  Often I find that people stereotype these types of stores as 1. expensive and 2. for frou frou dogs and dog owners.  This is SO not the case at masters n' DOGS
     I've decided to list all the reasons I love them so if you have any specific questions or want to know more about anything related to the store let me know and I'll do a more in depth blog post.
  • Their staff is kind, caring and compassionate.  This transcends and applies to so much more than just knowledge of products within the store.  Not only do they remember your dog and love your dog they remember you both by name!  It feels so nice to go into a store where you're not just a number on the receipt.  Shoutout to Jasmine, their assistant manager, for being so awesome and friendly.  She also has the biggest heart and fosters pups waiting for a good home. 
  • The variety of products offered is crazy!  Small dogs, HUGE dogs - they cover all their bases.  I know that if I need something for Olive they will have it.  They carry everything from dog food, collars,harnesses and leashes, protective clothing (think boots and coats), treats, hygiene products and toys.  They really know how to make use of the small space in there. 
  • Speaking of food?  I can trust that anything I buy there is of the highest quality.  My dog deserves nothing but then best, as bratty as that sounds.  I'd rather pay for good nutrition now than expensive vet bills later. They carry fantastic brands like: Nature's Variety, Orijen, Acana, Go/Now and From.  They also have a great variety of chews - a great selection of canadian bullysticks. 
  • Cost of products; as much as people would like to think the store is expensive, it's not for what you get.  Not only are prices reasonable, you will often find a promotion or special on certain products.  This changes constantly.  Not to mention their food reward program - purchase 10 bags of food and receive one free. 
  • Another great part?  They carry sample bags of food that they give you to try out before buying to make sure your pup will love it.  They've also been great about giving me a sample bag for when we travel with Olive to make sure there are no problems at the border since the products are still sealed. 
  • The best groomer; you would think Olive would run any time we get close to the store but instead she pulls towards it.  She loves her groomer, Darby, and you can tell Darby loves her.  She is so gentle and listens!  Olive has never had a bad cut and always has the best puppy cut.  Plus?  The grooming is actually cheaper than at PetsMart
 Ok, I think I have rambled on enough for now.  Let me know if you'd like any more specific info or reviews by leaving a comment or emailing me.  

That's it for now,

xxx
E

2 comments:

  1. I've got to say, I much prefer WAG Pet Cafe on Bank :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ A Sizer, if you'd asked me maybe a year ago I would've agreed with you! :) But, here are the reasons I no longer thing this is the case:

    1. Wag seems to be going in a new direction where revenue is more important that customer service. Ex: since the addition of the Doggy Daycare, all the sessions they offer are some form of 'seminars' with a cost associated to them. I haven't seen a Tiny Tots play date in months!

    2. Selection isn't the greatest anymore; They carry some products that are sub-par 'highest quality' standards and the selection of dog food isn't the greatest either.

    3. The cost of products! This has got to be the most disappointing part. Comparing the food that Olive eats between the two spots, M&D is cheaper! But the worst part? Late last fall I bought Olive a winter jacket at Wag and paid $50+. The next day I happened to be walking around Winners only to come across that SAME jacket for $12! Obviously I returned the jacket to wag and explained why only to be told that the one I got must have been 'last season'. Well no, it wasn't. They were selling that same exact one in store.

    3. Stock of products; I expect that regular products are stocked accordingly and readily available to customers. I hate the hit and miss! For example? Olive's 'Nature's Variety' raw meat is never consistently available....and the last few times that I've gotten it I haven't been impressed. The meat is all stuck together with ice crystals. Someone isn't following the thaw/freeze process well!

    Overall I also just don't find customer service that great anymore. It used to be! Now though, it seems to be way more about revenue that about connecting with the customer.

    I used to love Wag for the atmosphere, for the doggy dates and for the staff. That all seems to have changed though. :(

    ReplyDelete